Saturday, January 9, 2010

A warm and lazy day.....

So one of the the things that I love about school holidays is READING. It is the only time of the year that I purposefully make time for it. My third book for this period is called "A puppy called Aero" by Liam Creed. I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it. But I'm now struggling to even put it down to write this post!!
It is about a young teenage boy (the author) who lives with ADHD, and his life is transformed, for the better when he works with a Labrador called Aero. He channels his boundless energy into training the dog to work with wheelchair bound people. A lovely book, especially for those of you who are either labelled as rat bags or are animal lovers.
While we were staying in Canterbury we lived with a honey-bun Labrador Saf'


So my personal challenge...............
While reading the book it mentioned the origin of the Labrador dog.
Labrador is a region within Canada. As is also New Foundland. While reading the book it mentioned the obvious history behind the word retreiver, but I had no idea where the name Labrador had come from.
I learned something new!!!

This evening Caitlin helped me prepare salads for dinner. Caitlin, nearly ten, has recently expressed an interest in cooking, so we had some fun and invented a "new" salad. Well it is new in our house anyway. We named it "Summer Blush", and it is Y.U.M.M.Y. Recipe follows......

Green apples
Beetroot (whole baby beets sliced)
Celery
Mint
Basil
Splash of lime or lemon juice

Try it ,,,,,,,,it's really fresh and goooooood!

Hey, that's a couple of achievements to be proud of today. I'm on a roll!!

2 comments:

  1. I was just looking at that book at Whitcoulls yesterday - it did look good! Knew I should have got it while it was on special lol

    Like the sound of the salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I grabbed it on special for $20.
    Just finished it this afternoon, you can borrow mine if you don't get a copy :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! I love your feedback :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...