Friday, January 14, 2011

Summer Reading


I have just finished this book.
For the second time.
Written by Elizabeth Gilbert


I actually wasn't in the correct head space in November when my friend lent it to me. I skimmed it. But this past week I actually READ and digested it.

And I loved it.

Even the long descriptions of places afar and experiences of meditation. Which, lets face it, if your not in the right mood for. It's just not gonna happen.
Actually that's not quite accurate. If there are too many little distractions running around then any quiet, 'me' time or reflection is near impossible.

I haven't seen the movie. My hub has. He saw it on a plane between NZ and Aussie. He recommended it, but I really wanted to reread the book first.

I'll share one of my favourite passages from it. This bit really struck home for me!

"...happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it, you must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it."
Elizabeth Gilbert; Eat Pray Love, Bloomsbury

Total coolness. Too often I have waited for happiness to be served on a platter, although I don't really like to admit it. I have been lazy, far too often. Wondering what my future will bring. But really, this book reminded me that I can probably bring it to myself if I try hard enough.

See it isn't just your physique and property that needs maintenance this New Year.

xx





2 comments:

  1. You can't really change what the world brings to you... but you can change how you DEAL with it.
    You CAN however, change what YOU bring to you.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thoughtful and thought provoking post. I havn't seen the movie but have had it recommended. It'll be on DVD later this year.

    I agree with Dragon Tongue too. How you deal with things can be the key to so much of your life.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! I love your feedback :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...